Adam Klein. In 1849, German immigrants led by Adam Klein settled this area and soon after a bustling farm community emerged. The school system during this period consisted of five common districts that consolidated.
Rural High #1. In 1849, German immigrants led by Adam Klein settled this area and soon after a bustling farm community emerged. The school system during this period consisted of five common districts that consolidated. In 1938, the school district was renamed the Klein Independent School District in honor of Adam Klein. With an opening enrollment of 80 students, that number quickly grew to an average of 310 students who were transported daily on five school buses 32 miles each day. The growth of the area was very slow and steady; most of the residents were farmers, ranchers, and dairy farmers. By board policy, all senior high schools will include the name “Klein” as the first word.
A new high school was built opening in 1939 with only the senior class because the school was not totally complete. The architect was R. G. Schneider and the contractor was George S. Moore. Klein ISD School soon became the pinnacle for the Klein community.
On January 3, 1940, the Rural High #1 original building was totally destroyed by fire and all the students moved into the new building for the remainder of the school year.
Klein Elementary School was rebuilt next to Klein High School after the fire. The pediment in the picture indicates the date the school opened. The first teachers at the elementary school were sometimes provided housing by families in the community. The school district sometimes used the telephone on the Adam Klein farm when communication beyond the school was necessary. This building was removed in 2007 as it had been deemed unsafe for habitation and for the construction of the Network Operation Center.
The original Kohrville School founded in 1895 sold for $275 in 1949 and was rebuilt by the renowed architect firm of Alfred C. Finn, a famous Houston architect who designed many famous buildings in Houston, Galveston, and other Texas cities in that period. He also designed the San Jacinto Monument. In 1967, once Klein schools were fully integrated, the Kohrville School closed. For several years it was used as a community center. Today the Kohrville School is part of the Klein Museum complex.
Click here to view a video about the history of Kohrville.
Recreation Acres Elementary School opened to serve elementary students in the southern part of the district. The architect for the school was George Pierce and the let the construction contract to E. Lee Bond in August of 1948 for $45,636.24. The original Recreation Acres school was built with four classrooms.
Garden City Elementary opened on September 4 in the Garden City subdivision. It was located on West Montgomery Rd. just south of the present day Nitsch Elementary School. The school was built by Spaw Glass at a cost of $65,199. Garden City remained open until sometime in the 1970s.
Klein High School on the corner of Louetta and Stuebner Airline opened the doors to students on September 1, 1963.
In 1966, the stage was set for exciting changes in the district when thousands of acres of land, covered with beautiful oak and pine trees, were purchased for residential construction. Developers found room to expand, a serene atmosphere of country living, and reasonable prices. Prior to this time there were no large city-like subdivisions located within the boundaries of the district which, because of its size and shape, is served by three different post offices: Houston, Spring, and Tomball.
Original Klein Intermediate School. The first intermediate school in the Big Cypress/Klein community was named Klein Intermediate. It was located on Stuebner Airline and served intermediate students until it closed in the spring of 1975 with a student population of 802 students. The building reopened in 1975 as the KHS 9th grade center.
When Haude Elementary School opened, a new era in school construction began in the Klein ISD. This new flexible-space school was constructed on a ten-acre site at the corner of Louetta and Haude roads. Haude Elementary School was designed to serve as a pilot school for curriculum and design for other elementary schools that would be constructed in the district.
Greenwood Elementary School is named after the Greenwood Forest Subdivision, which was developed by Walter Mischer. The primary builders were Vincent Kickerillo and Don Hand. Mr. Hand, known as the “father of 1960,” donated the land where the school is built. He has donated more than 900 acres of land in the region benefiting the Klein area.
Northampton Elementary School was named after the subdivision surrounding it. Schools were built on land donated and formerly owned by descendants of German settlers. Before Northampton came to be, the land was called Root Pasture or Root Meadow that was mainly covered in trees with thorns, vines, and underbrush. The Root family of Houston owned land out of the John Brock land grant which they gave to the German settlers.
Klein Elementary School was renamed Klein Middle School on March 29, 1971 and the elementary students moved to Northampton Elementary for the 1971 - 72 school year.
Epps Island Elementary School is named for the group or "island" of trees located on the Epps’ land. “Island” was a term frequently used in the early days to designate large groves of trees on the prairie that offered shade and water to travelers. During the Civil War, a campground, or resting place, in the area was known as Epps Island. It was the stopping location for the 20th century truck farmers taking their produce into Houston. Farmers would sell their crops in Houston's Market Square in downtown Houston. A family lived on the eastern edge of the "island" and had a large peach orchard on the edge of the prairie. Many believe the Epps family gave the area its name.
Hildebrandt Intermediate School. Johannes Hildebrandt brought his wife and five sons to the Klein area from Prussia in 1873. Shortly after arriving in Texas, however, Johannes died from a heat stroke. Johannes’ sons established families and farms for themselves. One son, John, built a house near the present railroad crossing on Hildebrandt Road and operated a nearby sawmill. His grandson, Paul, sold the school district the land on which to build Hildebrandt Intermediate School.
Theiss Elementary School. In 1846, Johann Heinrich Theiss arrived in Indianola with his wife Katherina Theiss and four children. The family was from Bottenhorn, Germany. Johann purchased 200 acres of land near Rosehill, and the house he built for his family is still standing as a part of the Tomball Museum Complex. Johann's oldest son, Jacob Theiss, moved his family to the Klein area in 1854, purchasing 557 acres of land for $700. Jacob and his wife Elizabeth had ten children. In 1874, Jacob was one of the founders of Trinity Lutheran Church.
Wunderlich Intermediate School. In the 1850's, two Wunderlich brothers, Peter and Jost, came to Texas from Germany. In 1861, Peter was granted title to 577 acres, and the two brothers were joined by their sister, Katherina Wunderlich Hassler and her husband, Wilhem. Peter and his wife, Katherina née Hofius, had six children. Their descendants have continued to farm the land for more than 100 years. In the early 1870s, Jost Wunderlich bought 100 acres of land on the west side of Kuykendahl Road, between Spring-Cypress and Rhodes Road.
Original Klein Intermediate School opens as the Klein High School 9th Grade building. The center opened with 657 students.
Benfer Elementary School. Henry Benfer and his wife, Elizabeth, came from Westfalen, Germany in late 1866. They bought about 200 acres of land in the Klein area and began farming. Henry later became one of the founders of Trinity Lutheran Church. There are about 300 living descendants of Henry Benfer.
Strack Intermediate School. Herman Strack was the oldest of five sons who came to Texas from Prussia in 1848. He was a blacksmith who turned to farming, purchasing land near Cypress Creek. The land was part of two of the original 1836 Republic of Texas grants. The family continues to farm the land first purchased by Herman Strack.
Kaiser Elementary School. Henry Kaiser was born on September 9, 1825, in Hesse, Germany. In 1856, he and his first wife, Elizabeth, joined the Brautigams and 13 other families in coming to Texas. Landing in Galveston, the families used smaller boats to come up Buffalo Bayou to Allen's Landing in Houston. While Henry was serving in the Civil War, his first wife died of the fever. In 1865, widower Henry Kaiser married widow Katherina Wunderlich Hassler.
Brill Elementary School. Johannes Brill, another charter member of Trinity Lutheran Church, and his wife, Anna Elizabeth, sailed from Prussia to America in 1873. John Brill raised cattle, and his brand was a sledgehammer. Family records show that in 1888 he paid $310 for 30 head of cattle.
Ehrhardt Elementary School. Fritz Ehrhardt was born in Hesse, Germany and came to America in 1880 at the age of 23. In 1885, Fritz married Louisa Strack. Several schools have been located on land originally purchased by Fritz Ehrhardt. The earliest was the Oak Grove School, built in the 1880s.
Klein Forest High School. By board policy, all senior high schools will include the name "Klein" as the first word to commemorate the Adam Klein family's significant contribution to the community. Klein Forest was the second senior high school in the district. It is located in the Greenwood Forest community.
Lemm Elementary School. In the early 1840s, Wilhelm Lemm came to Texas from Germany. In 1854, Wilhelm married Henrietta Horn, and they settled near Spring, Texas. Wilhelm received his land while Texas was still a Republic and Sam Houston was president. Wilhelm went on to fight in the Civil War, and he was a charter member of the Trinity Lutheran Church. He died in 1880, but members of the Lemm family still live in Wilhelm's old home.
Nitsch Elementary School. John Nitsch, born in Koenigsburg, Germany, January 27, 1860, arrived in Galveston in 1885. By trade, he was a pastry cook, but after moving to the Klein area, he began farming corn, potatoes, and cotton. Produce would be taken by wagon to the Farmer's Market in Houston, and the round trip would take two days. John married Hedwig Lentz, and the couple had five children.
The Otis Davis Transportation Center was built off Doerre Rd. and opened in 1980. In 1955, Otis Davis was named the Klein High School assistant football coach, track coach, and girls’ basketball coach; he also drove a school bus and taught history and government. Within three years, Davis was named principal of Klein High and had responsibility for overseeing the transportation department; when the new Klein High opened on Stuebner-Airline, he served there as principal until 1968. Later that year he became assistant superintendent, also serving as interim superintendent for a short time. Otis Davis retired in 1986 but continued his service to the district and the community as a member of the Klein ISD school board from 1987 to 1992.
The Klein ISD Central Office located at 7200 Spring Cypress Rd. officially opened in December of 1981. This facility sits on a 10 acre plot of land purchased from Herbert Doerre with the stipulation that the land always be used for educational purposes.
Klein Oak High School. By board policy, all senior high schools will include the name "Klein" as the first word to commemorate the Adam Klein family's significant contribution to the community. Klein Oak was the third senior high school in the district. Klein Oak serves students who live in the northern portion of the district.
Krahn Elementary School. Frederick Krahn came from Burgenbuch, Poznen, Germany, in 1860 to Galveston. With him were his wife, Anna, his sons, August and William, and his daughter. Anna died less than ten years after arrival, and Frederick married Elizabeth. The couple had one child named Fredericka. It is uncertain exactly where the first Krahns settled in Texas, but it was in northwest Harris County, probably in the Cypress area.
Roth Elementary School. Henry Roth, Sr., born in 1824, moved from Feudingen, Wesfallen, Germany, to the Klein area with his wife, Ana, and his son, Heinrich, Jr. in 1854. They settled on land in and around what is now the Bridgestone subdivision. Henry, Jr. married Julia Wichman, and the couple had ten children. Rhodes Road is named after the Roths; the non-German people in the area often mispronounced the "Roth" names as "Rhodes."
Klein Intermediate School. The first intermediate school in the Big Cypress/Klein community was named Klein Intermediate. However, it was not until 1984 that the fifth intermediate school in the Klein Independent School District was given this name to continue the tradition. Klein Intermediate is located in the southern part of the district.
Doerre Intermediate School. Carl and Edward Doerre immigrated to Texas in the 1870s from Saxony, Germany. Edward married Mary Klein in the 1880s. They purchased 320 acres from Mary's dad, John Klein. When the people of the Klein community wanted to build a public elementary and high school in 1931, Herbert Doerre, Edward's grandson, sold 10 acres with the stipulation that the land always be used for educational purposes. This is the land where the Klein administration offices are located.
The Klein ISD Maintenance Building sits directly behind the Central Office on part of the 10 acres purchased from the Doerre family. This facility houses the maintenance department personnel and warehouse and is responsible for the upkeep of 6.5+ million square feet and 1000 acres of grounds. The areas within the department include 1) electrical; 2) plumbing; 3) heating, ventilation, air conditioning; 4) crafts; and 5) grounds. The department's goal is to provide quality products and services that will enhance the instructional environment and protect the investment in each facility.
The Klein ISD Warehouse facility is located behind the Network Operations Center and Central Office off Robbie Rd. This cluster of buildings houses the central warehousing, food service warehouse, risk management and some information technology personnel.
Kuehnle Elementary School. There are two branches of the Kuehnle family who came and settled in the area at different times. The earliest Kuehnles were from Eichenkernberg, Germany, and came in the 1850s. The second group of Kuehnles came from Wittenberg, Germany, in the 1870s.
Mittelstädt Elementary School. Carl Theodore Wilhelm Mittelstädt arrived in the United States in 1869 with his wife, Wilhilmen, and five of their six children. They had lived in Semlow, Franzburg County, in northern East Germany. The house they built still exists. Today, there are almost 2000 direct descendants of these original Mittelstädts..
Klenk Elementary School. In 1874, the brothers Christian, Carl, and Gottlieb immigrated to Texas, where Aunt Fredericke Klenk had settled with her husband Adam Klein years before. The Klenks of the Klein community are descendants of Christian Klenk. In 1876, Christian married Fredericka Zwink at Trinity Lutheran Church. Christian helped build the original church building and was one of its first members. Christian owned about 450 acres of land, including the four corners where Kuykendahl and Spring-Cypress cross.
Eiland Elementary School. Tom Eiland’s four brothers first settled in the English colony of Virginia. In early 1887, Tom made the 650 mile journey to Rockdale in Milam County, Texas. The Eilands later moved to the Klein community. Curtis Eiland was elected to the Klein Board of Trustees in April 1959 and served 12 years.
Current Kleb Intermediate School opened in 1993 on Louetta Rd. just a short distance from the former location. This school was built to house about 1,200 students.
The vacated Kleb Intermediate space became the Klein ISD Annex and housed the Discipline Alternative Education Program, the Therapuetic Education Program and the food service, police and plant operations departments.
Schultz Elementary School. According to the U.S. Census records, Herman Schultz came from Germany with his grandmother Hannah Olstan in 1872 when he was six years old. He was born in Germany on December 25, 1865. Herman Schultz was married first to Katherine Mueller, and the couple had eight children. When Katie Mueller died, Herman married Elizabeth Kreinhop Mittelstäedt. They also had eight children. Among Herman's sixteen children were three sets of twins.
Hassler Elementary School. The Hassler family in Germany has been traced as far back as 1750. On July 25, 1858, Marie Katherina Wunderlich married Wilhelm Hassler in the church in Birkalbach, Germany. In 1861, the Hasslers with children Heinrich and Friedrich immigrated to Texas. During the Atlantic crossing, baby Friedrich died and had to be buried at sea. In Texas, the Hasslers settled in the Big Cypress area and began farming, but William Hassler died of a fever in 1863 or 1864. In 1865, Katherina married Heinrich Kaiser, a veteran of the Civil War, and they had several children of their own while also raising Heinrich Hassler. Descendants of Heinrich continue to live in the Klein community.
Klein Collins High School. By board policy, the name Klein will be the first word of the name of each Klein ISD high school to commemorate the contributions of Adam Klein and his descendants to this community. The name Klein Collins High School also honors the contributions of Dr. Donald R. Collins, superintendent of the Klein Independent School District for 29 years. The name of Klein Collins High School reflects the leadership of two of our community’s most distinguished families.
The present day Kohrville Elementary School is located in the far northwest section of the Klein ISD. The school is named for a community settled by freed slaves and by German immigrants, including Paul and Agnes Tautenhahn Korhmann, who opened a general store in the 1870s along what is today State Highway 249. The community became known as "Kohrville" or occasionally "Korville." The 1949 two-room school house has been relocated to the Wunderlich Farm and is completely restored and open to the public.
Schindewolf Intermediate School. Johann Reinhard Schindewolf married Maria Magdalena Hildebrandt in 1873 in Frankershausen, Germany. That same year, several members of Maria Hildebrand's family immigrated to Texas. Johann and Maria had three children, Elissa, Klous Otto, and George. After her husband's death, Maria Schindewolf brought her three children to settle in Texas. Otto married Emma Hildebrandt and raised a family of five children in Westfield. George married Annie Strack and raised seven children in the Klein community. Descendants of Johann and Maria Schindewolf continue to live in the Klein community.
Kreinhop Elementary School. August Kreinhop and his wife Dorethea were the first members of the Kreinhop family to settle in this area. They owned about 250 acres of land that is located very close to Kreinhop Elementary. Their family home was sold to the Hildebrandt family and is known as the Kreinhop-Hildebrandt house. This house has been relocated to the Wunderlich Farm.
McDougle Elementary School was dedicated March 21, 2004, and named after George McDougle. As one of the first settlers, he came to Klein in 1838. He joined others coming to Texas, seeking opportunities for owning land and raising cattle. George settled in north Harris County, north of Cypress Creek on what is now Stuebner-Airline Road.
The Klein Instructional Center is located on Louetta Rd. in a remodeled medical facility. The facility houses a majority of the curriculum and instruction, C&I, team including the following: 1) accountability and school improvements, 2) advanced academic services, 3) English Language Arts, 4) languages other than English, 5) mathematics, 6) multilingual programs, 7) pre-kindergarten, 8) professional development, 9) science, 10) social studies, 11) educational technology and 12) fine arts. The C&I support teams form the backbone of the instructional program in the Klein ISD.
Metzler Elementary School. The family patriarch, Jacob John Metzler, along with second wife, Elisabeth Arnold, and their five children, emigrated sometime prior to February 15, 1847, from Germany to a new colony near Galveston. Upon arrival, they discovered that arrangements had not been made to provide them with the expected land. They traveled deeper into the state and settled in the Klein area.
VISTAS High School Program is the only “high school program of choice” in the KISD. In order to achieve success, the Vistas community is committed to a relevant and rigorous curriculum and the development of relationships, responsibilities and respect for self and others. Each of the following are Vistas components: 1) a challenging rigorous curriculum is necessary to prepare students for post secondary education and the world of work, 2) a curriculum that has relevance to the students’ lives and personal goals will result in greater motivation for the learning, 3 )small school size and small class size, a unique feature of Vistas, allows learners to form relationships with numerous adult, 4 )students at Vistas must accept responsibility for doing whatever it takes to earn their high school diploma, and 5) an environment of respect among the staff and students is created so that students at Vistas have a sense of self-worth.
Benignus Elementary School. The Benignus family settled in the Klein community and originally owned property in what is today Forest North. This property was later sold, and family members purchased land in what is now the WindRose area. In 2004, a community committee recommended that Elementary #24 be located in the WindRose subdivision and be named to honor the Benignus family.
Krimmel Intermediate School. Karl and Philippine Bauman née Krimmel came to Texas in 1846 with four children, making them one of the early settlers in the Big Cypress/Klein community. The old Krimmel homestead is located on the southwest corner of Spring Cypress and Klein Cemetery roads. Mr. Krimmel died in 1866 before Trinity Lutheran Church was founded. Philippine Krimmel, a founding member, remained a member of the church until her death in 1881.
Frank Elementary School. Martin Frank arrived in Texas in 1853 at the age of three with his parents, but shortly thereafter was orphaned. After living with other families in the Lynchburg and Rosehill area, Martin moved to Klein in the 1870s. Martin married Emilie Theiss and they had five children before her death in 1886. Eleven children were born during his second marriage to Philippine Krimmel. Martin Frank farmed and raised cattle until his death in 1922. Today, Frank family members own several businesses in the Klein area.
The Network Operations Center was built with 2004 bond funds and houses the data and voice equipment for the district. This facility serves as the "heartbeat" of the network and all district communications and connectivity. Located behind the central office on the site of the original Klein High School, it also houses the alumni center and memorabilia from that original Klein facility. The NOC was designed to reflect the overall appearance of the original building and incorporates the original pediment. The Klein ISD Tribute Garden is adjacent to this facility and paver and benches can be purchase in honor or memory of a Klein loved one.
Klein ISD Police. The Klein ISD School Board created the first school district police department in the state of Texas. The department began operations on September 1, 1982, with eleven (11) certified Peace Officers, consisting of a Police Chief, one (1) Sergeant, and nine (9) Officers in an auxiliary building located next to the KHS Annex. Today, the department is headed by the Police Chief, two (2) Captains, five (5) Sergeants and twenty-seven (27) Police Officers that support the district by promoting discipline, safety and assisting in the prevention of drugs and violence on our campuses.
Mueller Elementary School. The Christian Mueller and William Mueller families are recorded as members of the original settlers of the Klein area of North Harris County. Both families came to the community in the 1870’s—1880’s where they established homesteads, were farmers and ranchers and raised their children. Their children married into the Benfer, Benignus, Brill, Haude, Hildebrandt, Hirsch, Hofius, Kleb, Klein, Mittelstädt, Schindewolf, Schultz, Strack, Theiss and Wuensche families. Descendents of Christian and William continue to live and work in the Klein community.
Ulrich Intermediate School is named for the family of August and Marie Ulrich who settled in the Klein area in 1900 after coming to the U.S. Their homestead was across Spring-Cypress Road from the intermediate school. Dr. James Jones and his wife, Grace Ulrich Jones, lived on the Ulrich Intermediate property. Their barn has been moved to the Klein ISD historical site at Doerre Intermediate School.
Blackshear Elementary School. William and Hannah Blackshear moved to the Klein area in 1862. They established a store near Spring Cypress Road to serve the Klein community. In September, 1884 the first Klein Post Office was established adjoining the Blackshear store and William Blackshear was named the first Postmaster for the Klein, Texas Post Office. He served until 1902 when Charles Klein was named Postmaster. The Blackshears had one daughter, Catherine, who married J.W. Hobson.
The South Transportation Center was built in the southern part of the district to reduce the number of miles that buses traveedl without students as no funding is provided from the state for these miles. It also reduced the payroll costs for drivers that run these southern routes as they are on their assigned routes for a shorter time period.
The Klein ISD Multipurpose Building houses staff development and educational technology training facilities, a large meeting space with a capacity of 600, an auction arena and holding pens for the district’s agricultural program, and offices and a test kitchen for the food service department. An adjacent building holds the plant operations department and custodial products warehouse.
Zwink Elementary School. Friedricke Zwink immigrated to the United States in1874, and married a builder of Trinity Lutheran Church, Christian Klenk. In 1881, Johann Friedrich Zwink immigrated to the United States with his mother Louisa and sister Sophia. Johann married Elise, daughter of Jost Wunderlich, a founder of Trinity Lutheran Church. The Zwinks were farmers that contributed a great deal to the Klein area most importantly through the lineage of many other families including the Hirsch, Klenk, Mittelstadt, Schultz, Theiss. Many Zwink descendants who may not carry on the Zwink name continue to serve the Klein I.S.D. and community.
Grace England Early Childhood/Pre-Kindergarten Center. During her 24 years in Klein,Grace England led an effort to establish one of the first Early Childhood Intervention programs in the state to provide services such as speech therapy and physical therapy to infants and toddlers with disabilities to better prepare them for school. This center is Klein ISD’s first center for young learners and is designed to prepare pre-school children for school by providing readiness experiences that include a focus on communication, cognitive, motor, and social/emotional development.