German immigrants, led by Adam Klein, settled the area in 1849. In July 1928, the present boundary lines of the school district were established with the consolidation of five common school districts, and the official name became Rural High School District Number One. The total enrollment was 582. In March 1938, the school district was incorporated and renamed the Klein Independent School District.
A seven-member Board of Trustees (the Board) governs the District. Each member is elected to an at-large position for three years in a nonpartisan election.
Klein Independent School District, encompassing approximately 87.5 square miles, is located in northwestern Harris County, Texas. Its southern portion is adjacent to the corporate limits of the City of Houston. Most of the District is located between Interstate Highway 45 (IH 45) on the east and State Highway 249 (SH 249) on the west. The southern boundary follows Cypress Creek for a considerable distance and a portion of the northern boundary of the District is the same as the northern boundary of Harris County. The District is comprised of four (4) high schools, nine (9) intermediate schools, twenty-nine (29) elementary schools and one early childhoold & pre-kindergarten center for a total of forty-two (42) schools with more than 46,600 students.
The District provides a full range of educational services appropriate to grade levels Pre-Kindergarten (PK) through 12. These include regular and enriched academic education, special education, occupational education, and language training for those with limited English proficiency. The district offers a Spanish Bilingual program at most of the elementary schools. These basic programs are supplemented by a wide variety of offerings in the fine arts and athletics.
Klein ISD is fully accredited by the Texas Education Agency and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Texas Education Agency provides a school and district report card known as the AEIS report.