Highly Qualified Paraprofessionals
NCLB requires that paraprofessionals hired by an LEA after January 8, 2002, meet one of the following qualifications if the paraprofessional will perform instructional duties in a Title I, Part A program:
- Have completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education - defined as completion of 48 semester hours (or equivalent trimester hours) of college coursework; or
- Have obtained an associate's (or higher) degree; or
- have met a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment -
- knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing, reading, writing and mathematics; or
- knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing, reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness, as appropriate.
For your convenience, a Reading, Writing and Mathematics study guide has been added to this website for you to download at your leisure.