Nutrition & Food Services

Translate this information by choosing 'Select Language' above (choose 'more options' on a mobile device).


2022-2023 Meal Prices
Elementary Breakfast - $1.50
Elementary Lunch - $2.50

Intermediate Breakfast - $1.60
Intermediate Lunch - $2.75

High School Breakfast - $1.60
High School Lunch - $3.00

a la carte price list

Adult Breakfast - $3.00
Adult Lunch - $4.50
Nutrition & Allergy
Free or Reduced Lunch

* For the 2022-2023 school year, the USDA will no longer offer waivers allowing all students to eat for free.*

Click here to apply now!

To determine if a student qualifies for free or reduced priced meals, families are encouraged to apply electronically at

  • Applications need to be filled out each school year
  • Families will need to sign into their existing SchoolCafé account or create a new account.
  • Families will be notified with eligibility results within 10 business days.

Click here for a step by step guide to applying!

Ask our Dietician

Do you have a question regarding nutrition for the department’s dietitian?
Send your email here

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if my child has a food allergy?
1. Have your child's healthcare provider complete and sign the following form (request for special dietary accommodations).
2. Give your student's school nurse the completed form.
3. The school nurse will forward the doctor's note to the food service dietitian.
4. Parents can contact the food service dietitian with any questions or concerns about menu items.
5. Klein ISD will make substitutions for milk for non-disabled students who can not drink cow's milk due to medical or special dietary need. A written request must be made from the doctor or the student's parent or legal guardian in order for the child to receive a fluid milk substitution. 
How can I make deposits to my child's account?
Prepaying for lunch, breakfast, and/or a la carte items is an efficient way to pay for your student’s school meals. If paying by check, write the student’s or students’ name(s) and date of birth on the "memo" section of the check. Please make all checks out to Klein Food Service. If paying by cash, enclose a piece of paper with the student’s or students’ name(s) and date of birth with the money in an envelope. Deposits on an account can be made at any time either before school or during lunch, but to help serve you better, we would encourage you to make deposits in the mornings before school. Any amount may be deposited on any day. The cashier will remind the student when his/her account balance is getting low. Payments by credit card may also be made online at
What happens to money left in my child's account at the end of the school year?
If your child has money left in his/her account at the end of a school year, the money will be available on the first day of school the following year. This is true whether the child remains in the same school or moves to another Klein school.
How do I get a refund of money in my child's account?
A refund request can be done by completing the following online form (Click here) or by request in writing to the food service department. The letter should include the child's name and school as well as the address to which you would like the refund sent.

Refunds will only be sent to the legal guardian at their address. No cash refunds are permitted and all refunds are handled through the Food Service Office.

Request can be mailed to:
Klein Nutrition and Food Services
Attn: Refunds
7500 FM 2920 Road 
Klein, Texas 77379

Request may also be faxed to 832-249-4031 or emailed to 
[email protected]
What type of cash register system does the food service department use?
The Klein ISD Food Services Department utilizes a computerized cash register system. This system allows us to provide better service to both students and parents, as well as account for all meals served at this site. During mealtime, students scan their bar-coded ID cards. The current money balance in the student’s meal account will be shown on the register or Point of Sale (POS) screen. If an account has enough money, the transaction will be processed and the amount of the meal will be deducted from the student’s balance. If there is not enough money in the account, the student’s account will be debited for the meal, and the student will receive a notice to take home. A la carte items may be purchased from the account or paid for with cash.
What happens if someone uses my child's account?
Barcodes are distributed to your child through an ID tag to be used for meal and a la carte purchases. If the barcode is used by someone other than the legitimate holder, the register will notify the cashier that the account is being abused. The cafeteria manager will take steps to rectify this situation. Your child’s account will not be charged for unauthorized usage.

A parent can always obtain a detailed report on available meal money and meal transactions in the student’s account. This information can be accessed through your SchoolCafé account or by contacting the cafeteria manager.

Please remember that the student barcode issued belongs to your son or daughter. This should not be shared with other students. When your student scans in his/her barcode, your student’s name will also appear on the screen. It would be helpful if you would discuss with your child that their barcode needs to be kept confidential.
What is the "alternate meal" policy for the food service department?
Elementary school students with a paid eligibility may borrow 3 tray lunches before being offered an alternate meal at no charge. An alternate meal includes a turkey sandwich, all offered sides (fruit, vegetables, etc.) and milk. At no time or for any reason will a tray be taken away from an elementary student. If the elementary student arrives at the cashier station with a tray and does not have money, his/her account will be debited for reimbursable meals. 

Intermediate and High School students with a paid eligibility may borrow up to the dollar amount of one breakfast and one lunch, $4.35 for intermediate students and $4.60 for high school students before being offered an alternate meal. The manager will notify the administrator on duty when students continue to exceed the borrowing limit for an extended period. 

Students at all grade levels that are eligible for reduced price meals may borrow up to $4.00 before being offered an alternate meal.

Students who do not have money for breakfast are served a regular reimbursable breakfast. Their account is debited or adjusted as necessary. The meal is rung up as a reimbursable breakfast.

Students are permitted to borrow for reimbursable meals only and never for a la carte items. A student is allowed to borrow only for milk and the account should be debited. But, if the student’s account is blocked, he/she cannot borrow milk.
How can I limit what my child can purchase from his/her account?
Restrictions to a la carte purchases can be made online at Purchase restrictions can be set to limit purchases using cash or by the meal account. Restrictions can be set to a la carte purchases based on days of the week. 
What is the district's policy on food brought from home?
The only food to be consumed by students during the school day on school premises shall be that provided by the school district's food service department, prepared under the supervision of the appropriate school personnel, prepared and supplied by the teacher for instructional purposes, canned or bottled drinks supplied by the school or an affiliated organization, or food brought to the school by the students for their own consumption. With the joint approval of the campus principal and the director of the food service department, food for special student activities during the school day may be provided by a recognized commercial distributor. This would not include food prepared in individual homes.
Can I have special dietary accommodations for my child based on my religion?
We only make dietary accommodations for allergies or disabilities. Our online menu allows you to filter out certain allergens and ingredients you want your student to avoid. This includes foods that have pork or gelatin in them. You can utilize the menu to discuss options with your child before they go through the serving line. We also offer a vegetarian option daily to all students.
Why did my child get this white envelope to bring home?
As a service to the parents in our community, the Klein Food Service Department provides a payment envelope to students whose balance drops below $5.00. This is intended to be a reminder to parents that it is time to place additional monies on account with the school. We believe the envelope is convenient because all information necessary is pre-printed for the parent and eliminates the need for the parent to provide an envelope and remember what details are required.
Why do faculty and staff pay more for meals than students?

According to federal regulations, "breakfasts and lunches served to teachers, administrators, custodians and other adults must be priced so that the adult payment in combination with any other revenue is sufficient to cover the overall cost of the lunch, including the value of any USDA entitlement and bonus donated foods used to prepare the meal." The Food Service Department receives reimbursement for meals served to children. The value of this reimbursement and donated commodities must not be used to subsidize adult meals.

Why did my child receive a turkey sandwich for lunch?

Your elementary school child may have been given a turkey sandwich and milk at no charge if he/she has borrowed for the cost of three meals.

Your intermediate or high school child may have been given a turkey sandwich and milk at no charge if he/she has borrowed for the cost of one breakfast and one lunch.

What are the current meal prices?
 Reduced Price Breakfast - $0.30 Reduced Price Lunch - $0.40
Elementary Paid Breakfast - $1.50  Elementary Paid Lunch - $2.50
 Intermediate Paid Breakfast - $1.60  Intermediate Paid Lunch - $2.75
High School Paid Breakfast - $1.60  High School Paid Lunch - $3.00
Adult Breakfast - $3.00  Adult Lunch - $4.50

How do I make sure that my student has a birthday treat for their birthday?
When it comes to birthday treats for students, our cafeteria managers need at least 2 weeks’ notice to ensure they have enough time to order the treats that you want for your student. This also gives time to the nurses to check the allergies of all the students in the class. If you have more questions about the process, please reach out to the campus kitchen for more information.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by: 1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or 2) fax:
(833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or 3) email: [email protected] USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.

Website by Klein ISD Communications. © 2023 Klein ISD. All rights reserved.