Klein ISD Heat Index Guidelines for PE & Athletics
In order to provide a consistent district wide athletic standard, the local temperature at D.W. Hooks airport can be accessed via the Weather.gov website.
Klein ISD Physical Education Teachers and Coaches will follow Department Guidelines and Training:
- Discuss heat safety with the students and encourage students to drink water before and after going outside.
- Monitor students and limit the amount of physical activity, providing frequent water breaks.
- Secondary athletics will use the UIL Heat Stress & Athletic Participation Guidelines as a resource.
- Coaches are encouraged to make adjustments and modifications to benefit their athletes during practice sessions.
Reference point is real time “Heat Index” - which is what the temperature feels like to the human body when relative humidity is combined with the air temperature.
* Updates to weather guidelines may occur due to a continuing heat advisory.