The Klein ISD dyslexia program is designed to provide short-term reading intervention for children identified as having characteristics of dyslexia. Intervention services are offered to qualifying students in all grades. The components of instruction include explicit, systematic, and sequential multi-sensory instruction. Klein teachers are trained in dyslexia intervention strategies, which target the five areas of reading: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. The goal of the dyslexia intervention program is for students to gain accurate and fluent reading.
Klein ISD takes a proactive approach in identifying reading disabilities, such as dyslexia, through early identification and intervention. The Response to Intervention (RtI) model is used for early identification and intervention. However, a student does not have to go through RTI to be considered for a dyslexia evaluation. During the course of the school year, students struggling in the area of reading may be referred for dyslexia evaluation by the campus-based Collaborative Planning Team. The parent may also initiate a request for referral for dyslexia evaluation at any time.
- Parental consent forms and parent questionnaires are required to initiate the evaluation.
- Parents of elementary students should contact the campus Reading Specialist.
- Parents of intermediate and high school students should contact their child's counselor.
- Evaluation procedures are in accordance with TEA's Dyslexia Handbook (2021) .
- Dyslexia & Dysgraphia Resources for Parents
- The Texas Dyslexia Handbook (2021)
- Texas Education Agency - Dyslexia & Related Disorders
- International Dyslexia Association
- Neuhaus Education Center
- The Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity
- The Talking Books Program
- Resources and Support for College Students with Dyslexia
Sign Up for Dyslexia and Dysgraphia Remind Notifications
Want to stay up to date with any district announcements for dyslexia and dysgraphia? Join our Remind group here. We will send out announcements and important dates. Remind has both desktop and app versions. The join code is @b787d3g